The recently relaunched Chinese FA Cup threw up a few unexpected results when Chengdu, Qingdao, Shenzhen and Jiangsu were all knocked out by lower league opposition from the China League One (CL1). Wikipedia has a great page explaining this year’s competition format, but it doesn’t explain the bizarre scheduling highlighted before.
The second round takes place on May 11/12 and sees Beijing Guoan host Shanghai East Asia of the CL1.
CFA Cup First Round Results
Chengdu Blades (Chinese Super League) 0 – 0 (penalties 5-6) Tianjin Runyulong (CL1)
Yanbian (CL1) 1 – 0 Hunan Xiangtao (CL1)
Qingdao Jonoon (Chinese Super League) 1 – 1 (penalties 6-7) Guangdong Sunray Cave (CL1)
Nanchang Hengyuan (Chinese Super League) 3 – 1 BIT Beijing (CL1)
Chongqing Lifan (CL1) 3 – 0 Beijing Baxy (CL1)
Shenzhen Ruby(Chinese Super League) 0 – 3 Dalian Aerbin (CL1)
Guangzhou Evergrande (Chinese Super League) 3 – 2 Guizhou Toro (CL1)
Jiangsu Sainty (Chinese Super League) 0 – 0 (penalties 3-4) Tianjin Songjiang (CL1)
- Coleman to Hebei and How China Gets into the World Cup Swing: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Kitchee Defeat Tai Po Again to Win FA Cup and Clinch Domestic Treble on
- The Greatest Foreign Players in CSL History (But Not Iniesta): The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Editor’s column: Bizarre tattoo ban completes shambolic Welsh night for China on
- Will China win the football world cup? on