The recently relaunched Chinese FA Cup threw up a few unexpected results when Chengdu, Qingdao, Shenzhen and Jiangsu were all knocked out by lower league opposition from the China League One (CL1). Wikipedia has a great page explaining this year’s competition format, but it doesn’t explain the bizarre scheduling highlighted before.
The second round takes place on May 11/12 and sees Beijing Guoan host Shanghai East Asia of the CL1.
CFA Cup First Round Results
Chengdu Blades (Chinese Super League) 0 – 0 (penalties 5-6) Tianjin Runyulong (CL1)
Yanbian (CL1) 1 – 0 Hunan Xiangtao (CL1)
Qingdao Jonoon (Chinese Super League) 1 – 1 (penalties 6-7) Guangdong Sunray Cave (CL1)
Nanchang Hengyuan (Chinese Super League) 3 – 1 BIT Beijing (CL1)
Chongqing Lifan (CL1) 3 – 0 Beijing Baxy (CL1)
Shenzhen Ruby(Chinese Super League) 0 – 3 Dalian Aerbin (CL1)
Guangzhou Evergrande (Chinese Super League) 3 – 2 Guizhou Toro (CL1)
Jiangsu Sainty (Chinese Super League) 0 – 0 (penalties 3-4) Tianjin Songjiang (CL1)
- Advantage Shenhua But A Long Way To Go In Second Leg: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Cannavaro Walks Away Proud As Quanjian Crowned Best-of-the-Rest: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- AVB Rants as SIPG Win Big: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- SIPG’s Guangzhou Evergrande smackdown, & AVB’s censoring interpreter – The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Gurning physios, the SIPG towel incident and cup frolics: The Chinese Football Podcast on