Shaanxi Chanba set a new record yesterday by beating Chinese Super League pace-setters Guangzhou Hengda 12-11 on penalties after the match in Xian finished 1-1 after 90 minutes.
In an epic 13-round penalty shoot-out battle which saw both goalkeepers score form the spot, it was Shaanxi who edged it after former Shenhua striker Gao Lin fired Guangzhou’s final penalty straight against the keeper.
Bizarrely, the game was staged at 3.30pm on a Thursday afternoon. Nevertheless, Shaanxi advance to the third round on May 26 where they will face Liaoning away from home.
- Supporting the worst team in the league? An account of how it happened… on
- CSL travelogue: Take a look at Guiyang before they’re gone on
- Coleman to Hebei and How China Gets into the World Cup Swing: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Kitchee Defeat Tai Po Again to Win FA Cup and Clinch Domestic Treble on
- The Greatest Foreign Players in CSL History (But Not Iniesta): The Chinese Football Podcast on