Connect with us

Beijing Guoan

All CSL matches canceled tomorrow night

All eight Chinese Super League matches originally scheduled for tomorrow night have been cancelled due to the China Olympic team’s crunch qualifier away to Oman on Thursday.

This means Shanghai Shenhua’s big match against huge-spending league leaders Guangzhou will now take place on Wednesday August 24 at 19.45.

Changchun v Beijing Guoan, Chengdu v Shenzhen, Jiangsu v Hangzhou, Henan v Liaoning, Shandong v Qingdao, Tianjin v Nanchang and Shaanxi v Dalian were also all scheduled for this date. These matches will now be played later in the season.

UK trained journalist and long-time Chinese football observer Cameron Wilson has been writing about Chinese football for over a decade...

7 Comments

7 Comments

1. Kenneth

21/06/2011 at 13:30

Unfortunately I didn’t discover these cancellations until too late. I had asked for this Wednesday off months ago when the schedule first came out, but now I’m stuck with this random Wednesday off work. I guess I can hit the bottle extra hard Tuesday night

2. Mark Englehart Evans

21/06/2011 at 06:58

well as least we can stay out of the damn rain.

3. CP

21/06/2011 at 13:36

Why did they only cancel it this week? Did the Olympic qualifying schedule come out late too?

• WEF Ed

21/06/2011 at 15:07

Actually the league made the announcement a week ago…. WEF is behind the timez…. 🙁

• CP

22/06/2011 at 13:17

One week? That’s still kind of late. This wouldn’t happen in other pro football leagues. It must have been the Olympic qualifying schedule coming out late, or is the Chinese league management that inept?

• WEF Ed

22/06/2011 at 14:04

Actually announcing cancellations seven days in advance is very organized by CFA standards. Its interesting to note that China’s olympic team played the first leg of the qualifier against Oman on Sunday night, but the CSL fixures the day before were not cancelled (read my Shenhua v Hangzhou report). So who knows. Chinese football bureacracy moves in mysterious ways…. thats part of the attraction 🙂

• CP

23/06/2011 at 14:01

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I’m not trying to look down on the league or anything, I’m a China fan and trying to be a domestic league fan, and I want the Chinese league to be successful. It’s that things like this, I wonder how most fans think of this and whether it adds to the negativity that afflicts the league. That said, I was impressed watching the Beijing-Shandong highlights video at the crowd and atmosphere. If only most places can have crowds just as large (or maybe they already do?), that’d be great.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Shanghai Shenhua

shanghai shenhua logo 2016
Established: 1993

Ground: Hongkou Football Stadium, Hongkou District, Shanghai

Capacity: 35,000 (26,000 for football)

Honours: Chinese top-tier league champions: 1995

Chinese top-tier league runners-up: 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2008

Chinese FA Cup winners: 1998

Chinese FA Cup runners up: 1995, 1997, 2015

Most recent soccer data here. The system is currently retrieving statistics from data feed.

Latest Shanghai Shenhua results