The recent transfer window has brought an influx of new foreign talent to the Chinese Super League. The arrival of Frederic Kanoute to Beijing Guoan has many excited, I included, but I think Joffre Guerron will prove to be the better signing.
The young Ecuadorian winger showed his tricky skills and speedy runs off in his debut against Guangzhou R&F. This is the type of foreign signing Chinese clubs should be going for, a talented player under 30 years old with experience.
Guerron has played for LDU Quito, the top team in Ecuador. While with the club he won the league and was part of the squad which won the 2008 Copa Libertadores, even being named the player of the tournament. After an unsuccessful spell in La Liga with Getafe he went to Brazil for a couple of years where Beijing Guoan picked him up after drawing interest from Sao Paulo, Flamengo, and Club America.
Similar to Shanghai Shenhua’s recent signing Giovanni Moreno, Guerron should be able to help out long term and is not a glamour signing. Certain people will come out to see the Anelkas and Drogbas, but more will stay to see attractive football or a winning side. Young talent can provide that.
With Guerron now in the squad Mao Jianqing seems destined for the bench. Mao’s biggest accomplishment so far has been his goal against Shanghai Shenhua. Since then he really hasn’t shown enough finish to be a key member of the team. With Guerron on the wing, Piao Cheng will be able to move into the middle where the youngster can develop.
- Advantage Shenhua But A Long Way To Go In Second Leg: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Cannavaro Walks Away Proud As Quanjian Crowned Best-of-the-Rest: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- AVB Rants as SIPG Win Big: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- SIPG’s Guangzhou Evergrande smackdown, & AVB’s censoring interpreter – The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Gurning physios, the SIPG towel incident and cup frolics: The Chinese Football Podcast on