After what seems like weeks of chasing and speculation, Beijing Guoan signed Freddy Kanoute on Friday afternoon. Kanoute is arguably Guoan’s most well known foreign signing ever due to his time in Spain and the UK.
Kanoute’s not coming cheap, Guoan signed a year and a half deal with the striker that will see him earn $2 million a year. The 34 year old was said to be considering offers from the United States and Middle East, but after arriving in Beijing on Thursday and participating in protracted negotiation sessions, said to last until 5 am on Friday morning, Guoan was able to lock up their man. Kanoute was out of contract, so will be coming to Guoan on a free transfer.
Kanoute’s age is certainly a concern for many Guoan fans. He’s had a number of impressive seasons with Sevilla, tallying double digit goals in almost every one of his league seasons, including a high of 21 in 2006. He also has quite a good scoring rate in cup and European competitions. However, last season, one that saw him suffer through injuries, Kanoute only managed four goals in 26 appearances. Whether this was just an off year or a sign the years are catching up on him, we’ll have to see.
The new man didn’t travel to Guangzhou with his teammates and will see his first action for Guoan next week at home against R&F at the earliest. It will also mean that Guoan will be letting go a foreign player, most likely the injured Francois, though possibly Manu, in the next few days.
- Supporting the worst team in the league? An account of how it happened… on
- CSL travelogue: Take a look at Guiyang before they’re gone on
- Coleman to Hebei and How China Gets into the World Cup Swing: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Kitchee Defeat Tai Po Again to Win FA Cup and Clinch Domestic Treble on
- The Greatest Foreign Players in CSL History (But Not Iniesta): The Chinese Football Podcast on