Chinese champions Guangzhou Evergrande will travel to Qatar for the next stage of their 2013 Asian Champions League adventure, having been drawn against Stars League runner-up Lekhwiya in the next round.
Marcello Lippi’s side will hope that, with the opening leg of the tie to be played at the Tianhe Stadium, they can travel to the Middle East in September and avenge last year’s defeat at the same stage to Saudi side Al-Ittihad.
While the record of Chinese sides against West Asian opposition is poor, Evergrande have spoken confidently of their ambitions in this years tournament, and must now put their words into action.
They will, though, be relieved to have been drawn in what would appear the easier side of the draw—with other favoured sides FC Seoul, Al-Ahli and Esteghlal all in the top half of the draw.
The first leg of the quarterfinals will be held on August 21, with the return fixtures taking place on September 18.
- Advantage Shenhua But A Long Way To Go In Second Leg: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Cannavaro Walks Away Proud As Quanjian Crowned Best-of-the-Rest: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- AVB Rants as SIPG Win Big: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- SIPG’s Guangzhou Evergrande smackdown, & AVB’s censoring interpreter – The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Gurning physios, the SIPG towel incident and cup frolics: The Chinese Football Podcast on