An event David Beckham was attending for young footballers in Shanghai had to be cancelled today after the crowd caused a stampede, leading to multiple injuries.
The event, held at the prestigious Tongji University, was to include a number of local school children who participate in the country’s new Schoolyard Football initiave. Upon Beckham’s arrival, the large crowd of university students and parents pushed forward to catch a glimpse of Beckham, causing massive commotion.
Local media put the number of injured at five, one student and four police and security guards. They say none of the injuries are life threatening, but wouldn’t go further into the condition of anyone involved. Eyewitnesses put the number slightly higher than what is currently being reported.
This is not the first Beckham event in Shanghai that has had crowd control issues. At an event last night for the Queen’s birthday, Beckham’s own private security had to be reinforced with British consulate employees to prevent a similar crush. Beckham will be in Hangzhou over the weekend where he will attend the Hangzhou Greentown-Beijing Guoan match.
- Advantage Shenhua But A Long Way To Go In Second Leg: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Cannavaro Walks Away Proud As Quanjian Crowned Best-of-the-Rest: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- AVB Rants as SIPG Win Big: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- SIPG’s Guangzhou Evergrande smackdown, & AVB’s censoring interpreter – The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Gurning physios, the SIPG towel incident and cup frolics: The Chinese Football Podcast on