China interim coach Fu Bo has named a training squad for an 11-day camp at the start of next month, with home friendly fixtures arranged against Singapore and Malaysia on 5 and 9 September respectively.
Once more there are some surprises in Fu’s selection, with the experienced Guangzhou Evergrande trio of Gao Lin, Huang Bowen and Sun Xiang among the casualties. Gao and Huang, in particular, would appear to be counting the cost of a poor East Asian Cup showing.
In that respect, it is perhaps surprising that centre-backs Du Wei and Li Xuepeng retain their places, with both having dropped out of the side during the competition in South Korea due to poor showings. Qu Bo, another veteran who was recalled under Fu’s management, also surprisingly retains his place.
There are recalls for both Feng Xiaoting and Zhao Xuri, both of whom were dropped after defeat to Thailand in June, while Qingdao’s Liu Jian and Guangzhou R&F forward Jiang Ning also return to the squad.
Shandong midfielder Jin Jingdao and Evergrande playmaker Zheng Long are also included after long absences.
Goalkeepers: Zeng Cheng, Yang Zhi, Wang Dalei
Defenders: Zhang Linpeng, Rong Hao, Feng Xiaoting, Du Wei, Li Xuepeng, Zheng Zhi*
Midfielders: Zhao Xuri, Zheng Long, Liu Jianye, Wu Xi, Zhang Xizhe, Qu Bo, Jin Jingdao, Wang Yongpo, Liu Jian, Wu Lei, Sun Ke, Yang Hao
Forwards: Yu Dabao, Yang Xu, Jiang Ning
*Likely to feature in defence
- Supporting the worst team in the league? An account of how it happened… on
- CSL travelogue: Take a look at Guiyang before they’re gone on
- Coleman to Hebei and How China Gets into the World Cup Swing: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Kitchee Defeat Tai Po Again to Win FA Cup and Clinch Domestic Treble on
- The Greatest Foreign Players in CSL History (But Not Iniesta): The Chinese Football Podcast on