Sun Peagasus 1-2 South China
2013–14 Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield final
McKee 12; Kajkut 70, Barisić 74
The largest crowd of the season saw South China defeat Sun Pegasus 2-1 to win the Canbo Senior Shield. After a week of discord with the match fixing scandals engulfing both Happy Valley FC and Tuen Mun FC, the 6,800 fans in attendance were treated to a thrilling match; no doubt HKFA management were happy with the healthy gate and the end to end game played out.
Sun Pegasus took the lead via Jaimes McKee in the 12th minute with a beautifully placed volley. Sun Pegasus held onto the lead until the 7oth minute when Saša Kajkut equalized; four minutes later, Andrew Barisic scored what proved to be the winning goal. Both players were making their Hong Kong debuts and definitely made an immediate impact. A glorious day for South China was marred when Kajkut was given a red card in the 81st minute for a bookable offense. South China, the top dogs of Hong Kong football for so long, are aiming to make this a winning season and winning the Senior Shield is definitely a step in the right direction.
Christopher KL Lau is a freelance writer who was born in England and now works in Hong Kong.
All pictures courtesy of Christopher KL Lau. He has figured out Twitter and can be found here: https://twitter.com/Chris_KL_Lau
- Advantage Shenhua But A Long Way To Go In Second Leg: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Cannavaro Walks Away Proud As Quanjian Crowned Best-of-the-Rest: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- AVB Rants as SIPG Win Big: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- SIPG’s Guangzhou Evergrande smackdown, & AVB’s censoring interpreter – The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Gurning physios, the SIPG towel incident and cup frolics: The Chinese Football Podcast on