In conjunction with Chinese sports network Hupu, Brazilian side Atletico Mineiro will tour China between 19 and 29 June 2014, playing three friendlies against Super League sides.
While foreign friendlies often draw a mixed response from Chinese fans, interest in the games are set to be high with the prospect of 2002 World Cup winner returning to the Far East once more.
The games will take place while much attention will be focused on this year’s World Cup in Brazil, with the Super League set to pause for two months to allow fans to enjoy the competition.
Atletico are a familiar side to many in China now, with the 2013 Copa Libertadores winners having played Guangzhou Evergrande at the 2013 Club World Cup in Morocco last December.
Despite Evergrande’s impressive showing in the clash, the Brazilians were able to claim a late 3-2 victory despite the sending-off of Ronaldinho in the second-half.
The tour is another major inroad from Hupu into the sports events market, having previously invited the likes of Paul Scholes, Michael Owen and Marcel Desailly to China for a series of futsal games.
More details on the encounters should be available in the near future.
- Advantage Shenhua But A Long Way To Go In Second Leg: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Cannavaro Walks Away Proud As Quanjian Crowned Best-of-the-Rest: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- AVB Rants as SIPG Win Big: The Chinese Football Podcast on
- SIPG’s Guangzhou Evergrande smackdown, & AVB’s censoring interpreter – The Chinese Football Podcast on
- Gurning physios, the SIPG towel incident and cup frolics: The Chinese Football Podcast on