Connect with us

Chinese Super League

SIPG and Evergrande share spoils, Beijing claim only 2nd-ever victory at Shenhua’s Hongkou – CSL Week 18

WEF’s Frank Odozi takes a look at the CSL action on the pitch this past weekend – a big draw in the big match between SIPG and Guangzhou Evergrande, and elsewhere big wins for Beijing Guoan and Guangzhou R&F.

Chongqing Lifan 2-1 Tianjin Teda

Chongqing Lifan were very dominant in this match and had a couple of chances to take the lead before doing so through Ding Je. He connected with Woo Yong Jung’s corner kick after Tianjin Teda goalkeeper Du Jia came out to claim the ball but failed to do so.

Chongqing doubled their lead in the 25th minute after Fernandinho beat six players in a mazy run in the penalty area before firing his shot past Du from close range to double Chongqing’s lead. Wu Qing and Fernandinho almost extended Chongqing’s advantage in the first half but were denied due to good goalkeeping and poor finishing.

In the 2nd half, Fernandinho was causing further trouble for Teda who were struggling to get into the game, and provided a teasing cross to find Alan Kardec who had his header well saved by Du.

Kardec and Fernandinho had further opportunities to put this match to bed but could not finish off their chances.

Teda managed to grab a consolation goal through Li Yuanyi after he headed home Bai Yuefeng’s cross past Deng Xiaofei.

Overall a very dominant display from Chongqing who are currently the league’s in form side and will take some beating.

Guizhou Zhicheng 4-3 Hebei China Fortune FC   

 In the 7th minute after some confusion in the Guizhou Zhicheng penalty area from Zhang Chengdong’s cross, Ezequiel Lavezzi collected the ball and thumped it past Su Boyang to give the visitors the lead.

Midway through the 1st half, Guizhou equalised after captain Baise Festus bundled home a free kick that caused mayhem in the Hebei China Fortune defence.

Guizhou had a couple of chances to take the lead before Min Junlin scored from Nikica Jelavic’s cross with an emphatic header past Yang Cheng in the Hebei goal to give home side the lead in the 42nd minute.

In 1st half stoppage time, Jelavic extended Guizhou’s lead after finishing the rebound from Ruben Castro’s shot that was parried by Yang. In the 2nd half, Stephane Mbia fired over from close range when he should have hit the target, before Chang Feiya extended Guizhou’s lead after finishing off the rebound from his first shot that was diverted onto the crossbar by Yang.

Hebei managed to get a second goal in this match when Zhang finished from close range after Lavezzi’s corner was misinterpreted by Su to make the score 4-2. Hebei managed to get another opportunity to get back into this match when they were awarded a penalty after new signing Mario Suarez handled the ball in the area. Lavezzi took the spot kick and placed it just beyond the reach of Su who felt he should have saved it.

Towards the end of the match, there was an incident where Baise appeared to be elbowed in the face by Aloisio but the incident went unpunished. This result adds further to Hebei’s woes as this result was their 3rd defeat in a row.

Jiangsu Suning FC 4-0 Liaoning Whowin

Jiangsu Suning got their 1st league win under new head coach Fabio Capello. The Nanjing side dominated the early play with numerous chances before Roger Martinez opened the scoring with a diving header, after connecting with Wang Song’s free kick to give the home side the lead.

Ramires had a header cleared off the line and Martinez had another header hit the bar to deny Jiangsu a 2nd goal.

In the 2nd half, Liaoning Whowin had a couple of chances to equalise before Jiangsu doubled their lead through Wang Song. He was put through clear on goal by Benjamin Moukandjo and he fired his shot past Zhang Zhenqiang.

Around 15 minutes later, Jiangsu made it 3-0 after Yang Xiaotian fired his shot through the legs of Zhang in the Liaoning goal and in stoppage time, Moukandjo made it 4-0 after some neat play in the penalty area beating a couple of defenders and firing home.

This result put Jiangsu outside the relegation zone and placed Liaoning right in it. The dongbei team look to be on a slippery slope after suffering their 5th league defeat in a row.

Shandong Luneng 3-2 Changchun Yatai

 The home side started brightly when Papiss Cisse had his shot saved by Wu Yake when the better option would of being to cut the ball back to a waiting Diego Tardelli.

Szabolcs Huszti had a shot for Changchun Yatai but was saved from point blank range by Wang Dalei.

In 1st half stoppage time Gil scored the opening goal after heading home Diego Tardelli’s corner to give Shandong Luneng the lead.

Straight away in the 2nd half, Shandong doubled their lead after Jin Jingdao’s pass found Cisse who dribbled into the penalty beating a couple of defenders before firing his left footed finish past Wu to double the home side’s lead.

Changchun got back into the match with a penalty after Zhang Xiaofei was brought down in the penalty area. Odion Ighalo took the spot kick and sent Wang the wrong way to bring Changchun back into the match.

Tardelli restored Shandong’s 2 goal advantage after collecting Wu Xinghan’s low cross and dummying Wu in the Changchun goal before firing the ball into an empty net to make the score 3-1.

Cisse will be a contender for miss of the season after he was set up by Tardelli and had an open goal in front of him but he blazed over the bar much to the disbelief of Tardelli himself and Shandong head coach Felix Magath.

Changchun managed to get a consolation goal through Ighalo after having his back to goal and managing to fire his low shot wrong footing Wang.

This match ended Changchun’s three-match winning streak and put Shandong back on winning form.

Shanghai SIPG 2-2 Guangzhou Evergrande

In this top of the table clash, Shanghai SIPG had the brighter start when Elkeson fired his shot just wide, and also in the opening moments, Hulk had his effort saved by Zeng Cheng in the Guangzhou Evergrande goal.

For the visitors, Ricardo Goulart and Paulinho both had efforts saved by Yan Junling in the SIPG goal.

The second half ignited when the visitors took the lead, after some neat play between Goulart and Gao Lin set up Alan who placed his low right footed drive past Yan to give the visitors the lead.

Moments later, SIPG equalised through Wu Lei who collected Elkeson’s cross and fired the ball past Zeng to make the score 1-1.

Paulinho went close to putting the visitors back in the lead before Yu Hanchao went one better after connecting with Gao’s low cross to score his side’s second.

SIPG managed to keep themselves in contention for the league title and equalised again after Wu Lei collected Hulk’s pass and placed his finish past Zeng to share the spoils and make the final score 2-2.

Guangzhou R&F 6-2 Yanbian Funde FC

Guangzhou R&F opened the scoring in this match when Renatinho headed home Lu Lin’s free kick to give the home side the lead.

R&F almost doubled their advantage when Eran Zahavi had his shot saved from point blank range by Chi Wenyi. Bubacarr Trawally equalised for Yanbian Funde when he beat a couple of defenders and placed his powerful finish past Cheng Yuelei to make the score 1-1.

However, Zahavi restored R&F’s lead when he fired home from close range after catching the Yanbian defence sleeping. Ten minutes later, Junior Urso added to R&F’s advantage after some indecision in the Yanbian defence and placed his finish past Chi to give R&F a 3-1 lead.

In the 2nd half, Trawally scored from a thunderous free kick which left Cheng with no chance of saving it to get Yanbian back into the game. Zahavi restored R&F’s two goal advantage after connecting with Jiang Zhipeng’s cross and blasting his finish past Chi.

Zahavi got his hat trick minutes later after blasting the ball past Chi in the penalty area after he connected with Renatinho’s pass.

After a quick corner, Zahavi placed his header past Chi who was found by Tang Miao’s cross for his 4th goal of the game and 18th goal of the season to make the score 6-2 to R&F.

Trawally almost got his 3rd goal of the match but his low shot was saved by Cheng to deny the Gambian a hat trick.

Henan Jianye 1-1 Tianjin Quanjian

 Alexandre Pato went close for the visitors when his long range volley was saved by Wu Yan before Zhao Xuri placed his header past Wu from Wang Yongpo’s corner a minute later to give Tianjin Quanjian the lead.

Henan Jianye went close to equalising minutes later when Borek Dockal had his shot saved by Zhang Lu.

In the 2nd half, Zhang Jinbao went close to equalising for Henan when his chip deceived the goalkeeper but hit the crossbar.

Dockal had an opportunity to equalise but his shot went narrowly wide of the Quanjian goal and Pato almost doubled the Tianjin team’s lead but his shot went narrowly wide.

Mao Haolin got his second yellow card of the match resulting in a red card to put the visitors down to 10 men for what appeared to be dissent towards the referee and to add further insult to injury, Henan equalised 5 minutes later when Christian Bassogog provided an inviting cross for Zhang to head home for the equaliser for Henan.

Quanjian almost regained the lead when Wang’s spectacular overhead kick hit the crossbar.

The match ended 1-1 with Henan putting an end to Quanjian’s winning run.

Shanghai Shenhua 1-2 Beijing Guoan

Carlos Tevez had a long range shot saved by Yang Zhi and Obafemi Martins was denied from close range by Yang to deny Shanghai Shenhua the lead.

From a breakaway, Beijing Guoan almost took the lead but Li Shuai saved Jonatan Soriano’s shot and Zhang Xizhe had his long range effort saved by Li.

Guoan took the lead through Soriano whose well placed volley beat Li to give the visitors the advantage.

Shenhua responded straight away after Giovanni Moreno collected Cao Yunding’s cross and after some neat ball control, the Columbian blasted the ball past Yang into the net for the equaliser. It was the Shenhua captain’s 10th goal of the season.

Just after half time, Guoan were awarded a penalty after Bi Jinhao handled Ba Dun’s shot. The spot kick was coolly converted by Soriano for his 2nd goal of the match and 8th goal of the season.

Tevez almost got an equaliser for Shenhua but his long range shot hit the crossbar. Tao Jin should have been sent off for Shenhua after stamping on the back of Soriano’s knee but the referee only awarded a yellow card. Song Boxuan almost extended Guoan’s lead but his shot went just wide and Zhang Chiming’s shot was saved by Li.

The win kept Guoan’s winning form in tact as they progress further up the league table.

A sports enthusiast whose main passions are football and golf as well as someone that knows a thing or two about the business environment.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

More in Chinese Super League