Connect with us

AFC Champions League

Eastern’s Asian Champions League Group Hopes Dashed by FLC Thanh Hoa

Photo by Dennis Lo

AFC Champions League 2018 Preliminary Stage qualifier

Eastern 2

Michel Lugo’25                                    Manuel Bleda ’63

Thanh Hoa 4

Pape Omar Faye ’31                          Hoang Dinh Tung ’58, ’60 + ’90+5 

                                    Attendance: 3,305

Eastern’s disappointing season went from bad to worse as they fell 2-4 to FLC Thanh Hoa of Vietnam in their AFC Champions League 2018 Preliminary Stage qualifier held at Mong Kok stadium.

This defeat compounds a torrid period which sees Eastern smarting from a 8-1 thrashing by arch-rivals Kitchee in the  league. This domestic capitulation saw the removal of Szeto Man-Chun as head coach with Hong Kong football legend Lee Kin Wo shifting from assistant coach into the hot seat for the qualifier game.

With so much at stake, the beginning of the game saw edgy play by both sides with the game having little to no flow or fluidity and there were many misplaced passes.  A sense of nervousness seemed to permeate both sets of players. Eastern’s McKee had a slight chance in the 12th  minute  when his right wing cross was held well by  Tran Buu Ngoc in the Tranh Hoa goal. Eastern raised the stakes of the game by taking the lead in the 25th minute through a downward header from Michael Lugo though the lead did not last long as Omar Faye smashed home a penalty for the visitors after a handball by Eastern’s Igawa Yusuke. Defensive carelessness which had cost Eastern so dear against Kitchee would soon prove their short-coming again in the second half.

The second half was dominated by Hoang Dinh Tung who scored a sensational hat-trick to seal Tranh Hoa’s progression. Slack defending by Eastern allowed Hoang to score in quick succession in the 59th and 60th minutes  and from being 1-0 ahead, Eastern were now 3-1 down and having to chase the game.

Lee Kin Wo takes the hot seat for Eastern. Photo by Dennis Lo

Eastern were given a lifeline in the 63rd minute when a foul inside the box gave Eastern a penalty which was slotted away by Manuel Bleda after some gamesmanship from the Vietnamese side in order to delay the penalty. It was now a one goal game and Eastern pressed forward and in the 78th minute, the Tranh Hoa keeper was lucky not to be sent off for handball outside of the box and from the subsequent free-kick, Eastern hit the post.

With the minutes counting down, Eastern thought they had an equalizer in the 89th minute but the goal was ruled out for offside. With time running out, Eastern threw everyone forward which left many holes and gaps to be exploited; Hoang again took advantage and scored his third and his side’s fourth to ensure the visitors ran out 4-2 winners. The Vietnamese side will now take on Suwon Samsung Bluewings for a place in the group featuring Shanghai Shenhua.

For Eastern, these are difficult times and after the glory days of the nineties, the team hit a downward spiral which took the best part of two decades to recover from. It would be a shame if Eastern descended back down to mediocrity so quickly after establishing themselves in the top flight.

It will be a test of character if they can react to this severe disappointment and try and win a few domestic trophies. The huge continental nights against the likes of Guangzhou Evergrande just last year now seem like a distant memory.

Christopher KL Lau was born in England and grew up in both England and Hong Kong, and has a background in media, education and non-profits. He also is a freelance writer / photographer and has written for a number of magazines, websites and newspapers around the world on many subjects ranging from the arts to travel. Chris is passionate about sports and its place in society and is keen to promote both Hong Kong and Chinese football to a wider audience.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

More in AFC Champions League